Re: Oracle Replication (Multi master or Snapshot)

From: mark chadwick <hergesheimer_at_fresno.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:11:06 +0000

Replication WILL affect the performance of your production database, and can be a real swine to set up and look after.

Depending on the kind of ad-hoc querying you want to do, and which version or product you have, I'd be tempted to use Oracle's hot-standy, especially if you can tolerate a 10 minute lag.

The standby database accepts the archived redo-logs from the production database and with Enterprise Edition, it's allowed to be opened in read-only mode. There's always a lag between the primary and standby which you can influence by tweaking the size of the redo log.

The downside is you'll have to switch between constant recovery mode and open mode prior to querying, then back again, but it's doable, and won't degrade the performance of your production site.

In message <f489430.0301170743.2b71e081_at_posting.google.com>, Michael Kelly <wakeboard_at_mindspring.com> writes

--
mark chadwick