Re: NUMBER Data Type Question

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:55:34 +0100

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:41:27 -0800, Chucky <chuck.carson_at_syrrx.com> wrote:

>Thanks. So this means a number(2) column uses less storage than an
>integer column correct? (since interger columns are 4 bytes wide?)
>
>-CC

Not necessarily. There is no *real* integer datatype in Oracle, in fact integer will be automatically translated to number(38). Secondly, all numbers are stored as varying length. So there won't be any difference if you store 99 in a number(38) column.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jan 18 2003 - 14:55:34 CST