Re: Oracle 9.2 RAC on Red Hat AS 2.1 setup question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:07:58 +1100

"Jeremy Smith" <alceste_at_xmission.xmission.com> wrote in message news:b05nue$uo8$1_at_terabinaries.xmission.com...
> >> Basically I wanna setup on 2 Red Hat AS 2.1 machines. But since I
> >> don't have shared sub disk system. Can I use one machine's disk as
> >> shared disk system? If yes, how many NICs are needed in both machines?
> > If you don't have any shared disk subsystem, you can also try Linux
> > Network Block Devices (http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kripac/orac-nbd/ describes
> > our solution).
>
> How much luck (if any) have people had with the shared disk on firewire
> drives that Oracle touts on its website? I'm going to be trying in the
> next couple of weeks here (hopefully, if the machines arrive) but I'd be
> interested to hear of any success stories.
>
> For those unfamiliar, it's a bargain-basement way of having a shared disk
> subsystem: two firewire cards, and an IDE drive in an external enclosure,
> and wallah! shared disk.

Dunno. I tried a USB2 external disk, and it didn't work. But then it's not the same thing, is it?

But if you're looking for bargain-basement ways of RACing (which I assume means this is a home PC job and not a production database) then there's no need to invest in any hardware at all. Linux and Windows both can be made to do multi-instance or multi-node RACing, all on a single PC. The results can be extremely stable, and provide a very full implementation with which to get familiar with RAC concepts and procedures.

Check out the www.oaktable.net webpage and the Files link for details.

Regards
HJR