Re: Oracle 9.2 RAC on Red Hat AS 2.1 setup question

From: JZ <ibm_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2003 07:46:41 -0800

Sean McKeown <smckeown_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<3E24C8BB.3B790D95_at_adelphia.net>...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > >If yes, how many NICs are needed in both machines?
> >
> > You only ever *need* one NIC in each machine, regardless of whether you are
> > RAcing on Linux, Windows, or planet Pluto. However, commonsense dictates at
> > least two, because you have obviously implemented RAC for the sake of
> > redundancy, and having only one is a potential single point of failure.
> >
> > Typically, one is used to handle 'public' networking messages (ie, client
> > connects etc), whilst one is used to handle inter-instance communications
> > only.
> >
> > I've even heard of three being used per box: one for the public traffic, and
> > two for the inter-instance stuff (one of these being a redundant failover
> > device just in case).
>
> Our usual RAC setup has 6 NICs (well, to be more accurate, 6 physical
> ports distributed over at least 2 separate NICs - a lot of modern server
> NICs have multiple ports for this reason): 2 x front end network
> (regular database traffic), 2 x interconnect, and 2 x back end network
> (for backups). Always 2x for redudancy sake - as Howard noted there's
> not much point in going cheap on the NICs if you've spent all the time
> and effort on RAC.
>
> Regards,
> Sean

Thanks a lot, guys.
Since I only want to configure RAC for testing purpose. I guess I will skip the NICs for backups, and no redudancy. Now if I have 2 NICs in my 2 linux machines. Can I connect them like:

Server A Server B
NICA_1 ------ NICB_1 (regular DB traffic) NICA_2 ------ NICB_2 (interconnect)

Are both connections just the normal direct network cable connections(other than cross cable)? Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 09:46:41 CST