Re: Oracle 9.2 RAC on Red Hat AS 2.1 setup question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:33:59 +1100

> > "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks a lot, guys.
> Since I only want to configure RAC for testing purpose. I guess I will
> skip the NICs for backups, and no redudancy. Now if I have 2 NICs in
> my 2 linux machines. Can I connect them like:
>
> Server A Server B
> NICA_1 ------ NICB_1 (regular DB traffic)
> NICA_2 ------ NICB_2 (interconnect)

Well I *think* that's exactly what I described. One for the public traffic and one for the interconnect. So the answer must be 'yes', and indeed 'this is bog-standard typical RAC'.

> Are both connections just the normal direct network cable
> connections(other than cross cable)?

Yup, physically. When you install RAC you are effectively installing an Oracle component which sits atop whichever NIC you specify should handle the interconnect traffic, and acts as a message-passing conduit for instance-specific traffic. That is, Linux must have a Cluster Management Services component, and Oracle's own CMS bits and pieces interface with that to handle the inter-instance traffic.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 17:33:59 CST