Re: Oracle background processes

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:22:55 -0800

gotta_know wrote:

> On a Unix platform we use the oracle id to start the database.
> Therefore, the database is started and the owner of the background
> processes, i.e pmon smon..., is oracle. Is there any impact to the
> oracle server, or applications, if the database is started under
> another Unix users ID?
>
> I cannot find anything on Mental link(Metalink) in regards to this
> question.

Not if you go through the trouble to make it work.

Though anything you have written that deals with file permissions, etc. such as UTL_FILE will likely stop working.

Seems like a remarkably dumb thing to do to me. Sort of like going out late at night drunk and looking for a fight. If you are lucky you might not get beaten to a pulp.

If someone has already done this ... bounce the person and the database.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 11:22:55 CST