Oracle disk contention/ cpu usage

From: Mike Ross <mike_at_mchaver.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:23:38 -0000

Hi all

Just been lumbered installing the application my company support on an oracle installation and know nothing about it, normally handle ingres dbs.

From what I can see oracle is struggling, but I'd like to get an idea of how fast I should expect it to be.
Its running on a bitching sparc unix, 4 cpus, plenty of disk. However I believe there is disk contention. Using top the cpu usage never gets above 8% for oracle (I assume thats 8% of total available, hence max 25%) and iowait is around 15%. The application is running at 20%.

How can I tell if oracle or application is producing the iowait (nothing else is running on the box) and where its producing the iowait. What sort of %cpu activity is normal (I realise the higher the better).

the output from sar shows two disks (md2 and md5) having avwaits of 13.4 and 8.3 respectively. How do I translate them to vfstab entries. Is that high?

At the mo the machine is bulk loading a db. Currently running at @ 228 recs/second. Surely that should be much higher? Any pointers on where to look would be much apprec.

tia
Mike Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 11:23:38 CST