Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Daniel Billingsley <dbillingsley_at_NO.durcon.SPAAMM.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:57:57 -0500

"Sudsy" <bitbucket44_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3c836f4e.0301100053.6d9911cd_at_posting.google.com...
> <snip>

> MS might call
> it .NET but it's really just XML, SOAP, WSDL and UDDI.

You clearly don't understand what you're talking about. .Net is just what MS calls its current offering that allows you to leverage those technologies (arguably better than anything else right now, at least from a development standpoint for sure). You know probably all too well that the java community has been RACING to catch up in this regard. MS has certainly made its fair share of mistakes in the past and still does, but a claim that Gates and Ballmer aren't as aware of the future of IT as anyone else is naive wishful thinking.

>So why would you
> need a proprietary GUI? In B2B applications, the GUI doesn't even
> exist!

What planet are you on man?! B2B is not an "application", it is a technology (for lack of a better word) for linking applications, all of which have UI's of some sort.

And if you read the trade rags at all you're aware of the recently increasing number of articles suggesting that the idea of a browser-only client sounded good but in the end just isn't going to cut it for most enterprise applications. I'm talking about a TRUE browser-only client - in my opinion once you start saying your UI is browser + this or that (addin, control, etc.) then you really have more of a fat client with just a easy deployment mechanism. Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 06:57:57 CST