Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Marco Qualizza <mqualizza_at_insurance-engine.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:47:23 -0500

Daniel Billingsley wrote:
> "Sudsy" <bitbucket44_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>><snip>

>>MS might call
>>it .NET but it's really just XML, SOAP, WSDL and UDDI.

> You clearly don't understand what you're talking about.

Now, that's a nice, friendly way to start a critique. :-)

> .Net is just what
> MS calls its current offering that allows you to leverage those technologies
> (arguably better than anything else right now, at least from a development
> standpoint for sure).

Since you're obviously a MS afficionado, I'm going to need your help in figuring out eactly what the MS APIs are that leverages, for example, XML better than, again for example, Xerces does...

> You know probably all too well that the java
> community has been RACING to catch up in this regard.

You could say this from a certain view point (maybe the same view point that claims that the wheel has replaced stairs, but I digress). From other view points, you could also say that MS is desperately trying to catch up to Java (with the usual MO of copying and rebranding the competitor's offerings)...

> MS has certainly made
> its fair share of mistakes in the past and still does, but a claim that
> Gates and Ballmer aren't as aware of the future of IT as anyone else is
> naive wishful thinking.

Not a claim that they weren't aware. A claim that they were slow to react to, slow to embrace, the inevitable.

>>So why would you
>>need a proprietary GUI? In B2B applications, the GUI doesn't even
>>exist!
>>

> What planet are you on man?! B2B is not an "application", it is a
> technology (for lack of a better word) for linking applications, all of
> which have UI's of some sort.

Actually, B2B is a definition, a conceptual framework, at most. My servlet backend which talks to Xyzzy server somewhere and grabs data to reply to the query that you asked. Yes, there is a UI, between my backend and you. And I'm sure Xyzzy has a gui for its regular users. but UI has no place in the transaction where I grab data from Xyzzy...

> And if you read the trade rags at all you're aware of the recently
> increasing number of articles suggesting that the idea of a browser-only
> client sounded good but in the end just isn't going to cut it for most
> enterprise applications.

I'm sorry, I don't read the rags. I build the apps. I think you'd be amazed at can be done with IE and Mozilla now-a-days...