Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Sudsy <bitbucket44_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2003 00:53:38 -0800

<snip>
> My thinking behind this revolved around the fact that I have been developing
> to Microsoft platforms of one kind or another since they were invented.
> First DOS (obviously) then eventually Windows. While no O/S vendor can
> claim to have a perfect system - like it or not, Windows is the pervasive
> technology - period. (You Linux lurkers can flame me if you want - you know
> I'm right).

Actually, I think you're wrong. I don't believe that the desktop-orientation as practiced by MS is going to be the direction of the future. Let us not forget how slow they were to cotton-on to the power of the 'net. They were focusing on the workgroups with their own servers powering the enterprise (sound familiar?). That orientation also provided fertile ground for worm and virus developers.
Far better to embrace the "thin-client" (read: browser) model. Why do you think MS tried to "commoditize" (REF: the Halloween documents) the Java language: it threatened their monopoly. We're approaching a time when all the back-end systems will have to interoperate. MS might call it .NET but it's really just XML, SOAP, WSDL and UDDI. So why would you need a proprietary GUI? In B2B applications, the GUI doesn't even exist!
I'm not suggesting for a moment that people are going to abandon MS for Linux on the desktop en-masse but you have to admit that a server of a particular performance level will actually be more efficient as a file-server running Linux/Samba than NT. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 02:53:38 CST