Re: using rman

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:17:20 +0100

Detlef Jockheck wrote:
[...]

> Hi Kris,
>
> everythink works fine, but where is my backup stored?
> How can I rebuild the db using this backup?
>
> ciao
> Detlef

1.)
If you want to have control over the backup location, you can include a format string in your rman script:

rman> run {

2> allocate channel c1 type disk;
3> backup
4>   format 'f:\oraback\%d_bkup_typ_%u_s%s_p%p'
5>   database;
6> release channecl c1;
7> }

Of course, the actual format string is OS dependent, for any flavor of unix you'll use forward slashes('/').

2.)
This is where I really urge you to start reading manuals. What do you want to achieve with the rebuild? Do you want to copy the database to an other machine? Then just move the datafiles if possible. Do you want to recover from a loss of controlfiles? Restore/recover them. Don't rebuild the database. Do you want to recover from a loss of datafiles? Restore and recover the datafiles.

And so on. RMan is a powerfull tool, but you need to understand the concepts to accomplish this.

If you don't want to read the manual (for 8i it's some 500 pages, and you'll quickly know which to skip ;-) ), I'd suggest you read at least the following paper, which is a case study how rman was implemented on one site (I'm not related to the company in question in any way, I just found the paper once and still use it as reference sometimes):

http://www.dbatoolbox.com/WP2001/rman/rman1_implem.pdf

It pretty nicely explains some of the rman options, how to use them.

Best regards

Holger

PS: And if you find the time: really read the manuals ;-) Received on Tue Jan 07 2003 - 10:17:20 CST