Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_SPAMKILL_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:14:28 +0100

Don Burleson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have heard a rumor that the Oracle9i OCP SQL exam is unproctored:
>
> "The new exam is un-proctored, meaning that you can take the exam
> unsupervised at your own location. If you do not have good internet
> access, proctored exams are delivered in a secure testing environment,
> at an Oracle University Training Center or Authorized Prometric
> Testing Center."
>
> Because there is no guarantee that the person taking the exam is the
> same person who registered for the exam, many DBAs feel that this
> practice degrades the value of Oracle certification, and makes it even
> more worthless than before.
>
> Comments?

Seem a bit odd, taking an exam, but without proof of who did it.

I disagree with those who say OCP is worthless.

A drivers license doesn't make you a formula pilot. It is true OCP doesn't make you master in anything. It proofs that you were able to answer ~60% right on ~60 odd and sometimes theoretical questions.

*but* study for OCP gives anybody the opportunity to come out of the dba-cave/application and take a tour around in most of the features and corners of the huge product.

And *that* has value. A better overall understanding and knowledge has value.

It is easy to be a critic. It is harder to make it better.

Some of those that say OCP is worthless and are not OCP's

- either they cant handle/take it (now I get flamed).
- or cant get their employer to pay for it or cant afford it.
- or think they are masters in their own right.

rgds

/Svend Jensen OCP Received on Thu Dec 26 2002 - 13:14:28 CST