Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:42:29 +1100

Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:14:28 +0100, Svend Jensen said (and I quote):

> A drivers license doesn't make you a formula pilot.
> It is true OCP doesn't make you master in anything.
> It proofs that you were able to answer ~60% right on ~60 odd and
> sometimes theoretical questions.

And that *is* value? :(

> *but* study for OCP gives anybody the opportunity to come out of the
> dba-cave/application and take a tour around in most of the features and
> corners of the huge product.

You can do that without any OCP whatever. Pick up a good book and go for it. OCP is just a way for Oracle and a multitude of other organisations of zero (0) credibility to make a quick buck out of "education". A-la Microsoft.

> And *that* has value. A better overall understanding and knowledge has
> value.

No. You are not gaining one bit of better understanding about anything with an OCP. You are being "trained" by rote in the SPECIFICS of one particular version of Oracle.
That is not under the umbrella and classification of a "professional" qualification in anyone's book.
But that is EXACTLY what it is being sold as. Ergo: it has no value whatsoever.

> It is easy to be a critic. It is harder to make it better.

No one wants to make it better. It was never needed. Simple.

> Some of those that say OCP is worthless and are not OCP's
> - either they cant handle/take it (now I get flamed).

Why? It is a perfectly valid conclusion.

> - or cant get their employer to pay for it or cant afford it.

Quite true. Mostly because they see no value in it. Their employers as well.

> - or think they are masters in their own right.

And some of them even train the people that take OCP. And get them through with 95%+ certification...

> /Svend Jensen OCP

Which version? HAve you beenn taking the updates liek they told you? See any value in them? Me neither.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto