Re: Is the use of VARCHAR(256) as Primary Keys preferred in Oracle?

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 18:20:28 GMT

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in news:uvg2dbhup.fsf_at_hotpop.com:

> On Sun, 01 Dec 2002, pablo_at_dev.null wrote:
>

>> What I was attempting to explain was the reason 'why' one shouldn't
>> trust the business folks.  It's not that they're mean, green and ugly

> I don't trust the user entering characters that become the PK. That
> is what I don't trust. I certainly could see the merits of a
> "natural key" being defined by another systems PK.

Hmmm, interesting perspective. IMO, the downside with the above perspective is that it tears down the element of partnership between the various organization. If it can be presented differently (not saying that my way is the right way) then the above, then there's a greater likelihood that all players, will ... play. :)

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com