Re: Password (file) question

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:26:32 +0100

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:05:37 GMT, 76434.1353_at_compuserve.com wrote:

>On one server I can log on (from the server console screen) with any
>password.
>
>connect sys/xx_at_sid as sysdba is ok
>connect sys/xxxxx_at_sid as sysdba is also fine
>
>Can someone tell me why because I do not have this on another server
>
>The pasword file parameter in the init.ora = " exclude "

Because on one server you are using O/S authentication and on the other you are not. The password file parameter has nothing to do with it.
On Unix you are using O/S authentication if your Unix account is in the dba group (provided you used the dba group for the SYSDBA privilege when linking)
On Windoze you are using O/S authentication - if you are in the local ORA_<SID>_DBA group (<SID>_ being optional) *and* sqlnet.ora's sqlnet.authentication_services = (NTS)

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 17:26:32 CST