Re: statspack setup question

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:29:04 +0100

Comment embedded

Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow> schreef in berichtnieuws 3ddbd416.67114375_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com...
| Well, I finally made the 'leap' (uh, slight hop?) from utlestat to
statspack.
| Installed on one test database and liked what I saw. Now I need to
install it
| on at least one (and ultimately, all) of my prod databases. A couple of
| questions about 'best practice'
|
| First, any recommendations on best extent size to define for the TS that
will
| hold the perfstat schema?

Doesn't that depend on the interval of the snapshots and how long you want to keep history? Or turn it around: how much space do you want to give it, so that determines how much history you can keep.

| Second, it looks like we will need to set it to take snapshots at regular
| intervals through eight hour periods. Any recommendations on the optimum
| interval? Every five minutes? Thirty minutes? One hour?

I would say it's the same as with utbstat/estat: the smaller the interval, the more you focus on a particular problem. The larger the interval the more the effects are leveled out.
In one of my conversations (before the iTAR exists) with an Oracle RDMS expert of Technical Support I had the advice to run bstat/estat for 10 minutes when you want to focus on a particular problem. Run it for 1 hour when a more general impression is wanted.

| As an aside, we are also investigating more sophisticated packages to
assist in
| monitoring and tuning. Right now we are looking at BMC Patrol, Quest
Spotlight,
| and of course OEM. Any thoughts or recommendations on any of these
products?
| My partner went through a demo of Spotlight yesterday and is ready to buy
it.

Can Spotlight monitor events and send out emails? We have the product but then I must have a closer look at it, because I've not found that yet. I only know it as an interactive tool that has a magnificent start screen, but almost all other screens are available in Toad too and look exactly the same. The start screen shows all components of the database, how loaded they are (like number of block gets per second) and the color shows where there are problems (shared pool shows red when too many parse calls occur for instance).
Worked in an environment where BMC Patrol was used but I was not heavily involved. My impression is it can do a wonderfull job but it took much resources on the host (on Unix it was in top most of the time....) and is expensive. The out-of-the-box settings are definitly not the ones you want to work with.
We currently monitor all our databases with one Oracle Management server (10 nodes, 40 databases, 4 different platforms, 3 different Oracle versions) and I am very happy with it. Beside the events we have scheduled jobs to cleanup trace files etc. Sometimes the Oracle Agent on a host gets crazy, killing and restarting not always helps and a "clean start" is needed, but we can live with it. We can be very pro-active now. And you already paid for it with the Oracle license. We moved the OMS from Windows 2000 to a HP-UX host (V8.1.7.3) but we are considering moving it back because it crashes every time we deregister 3 events or more at a time. Yes, I unfortunately must admit that in this case an Oracle product runs more stable on Microsoft. I think because almost nobody runs OMS on Unix so bugs are not reported and therefore not fixed.