Re: statspack setup question

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:09:53 -0000

"Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:3ddbf091$0$46611$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> In one of my conversations (before the iTAR exists) with an Oracle RDMS
> expert of Technical Support I had the advice to run bstat/estat for 10
> minutes when you want to focus on a particular problem.
> Run it for 1 hour when a more general impression is wanted.

Makes a lot of sense. All of these tools give summary statistics. If you want an overview of how the thing is doing then a broader interval seems fine, if you have a problem then ideally you need to look at the problem *and nothing else*. So a tight interval is good, locking down the problem process and just loooking at a single session via trace files is even better.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA