Re: Oracle 8i Database with 18,000 Partitions

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:47:49 -0000

See below

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA__________November 7/9   (Detroit)
____USA__________November 19/21 (Dallas)
____England______November 12/14

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Tom Glover wrote in message
<7a7ecd29.0211111832.4002d80d_at_posting.google.com>...

>As for the "restore", from what I understand, you have the ability
>with Oracle to restore a backup of a partition back to that partition
>(or to another). The design, as pushed by the vendor, was to restore
>the data for the customer from the earlier backup as needed (due to
>unintended changes, incorrect data, etc). Sorry I can't go into more
>details on the particulars. Can you shed any light on this "restore"
>mechanism? Is there any way that it could handle this volume of
>actions? Or, do I simply misunderstand how or what this functionality
>is?

You can indeed swap a partition into place quite easily - although the effect on object validity, parse times and constraints can be painful. However, this seems to be a very odd and unwieldy way to cater for errors - do they really think they will be table to do this 100 - 200 times per day.