Re: Oracle 8i Database with 18,000 Partitions

From: Tom Glover <tom.glover_at_ceridian.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2002 18:32:59 -0800

Jonathan,
Thank you for the prompt reply. I am in total agreement with your (and the others who have replied) assessment. While I am not an Oracle DBA, I am an architect with about 15 years experience. My gut feeling was "RUN!!!!". However, I did need to get some input from people who regularly make the impossible work in the Oracle arena. Again, thanks.

As for the "restore", from what I understand, you have the ability with Oracle to restore a backup of a partition back to that partition (or to another). The design, as pushed by the vendor, was to restore the data for the customer from the earlier backup as needed (due to unintended changes, incorrect data, etc). Sorry I can't go into more details on the particulars. Can you shed any light on this "restore" mechanism? Is there any way that it could handle this volume of actions? Or, do I simply misunderstand how or what this functionality is?