controlling perl access to oracle db

From: Hanser, Larry <hanser_at_smmail1.rand.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:29:55 -0800

Dear Friends:

I've constructed a simple program using the perl dbd module to access an oracle database.  I have no intention nor desire to write to the database, only to read from it.  The database owner wants me to use oracle discoverer in order to restrict me to read-only access, but the perl access I've developed works just fine for my needs.  The database owner is willing to allow me to use perl if they can "certify" that my program can't write to the database either inadvertently or on purpose.

My question:

Isn't it possible to control write access for a username/password in oracle?

Thanks