Re: controlling perl access to oracle db

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:59:38 GMT

Hanser, Larry wrote:
> Dear Friends:
>
> I've constructed a simple program using the perl dbd module to access an
> oracle database. I have no intention nor desire to write to the
> database, only to read from it. The database owner wants me to use
> oracle discoverer in order to restrict me to read-only access, but the
> perl access I've developed works just fine for my needs. The database
> owner is willing to allow me to use perl if they can "certify" that my
> program can't write to the database either inadvertently or on purpose.
>
> My question:
>
> Isn't it possible to control write access for a username/password in oracle?
>
> Thanks

Yes, the schema owner can grant "select only" access privileges to their data. Are you using a unique oracle userid to access the database? The only reason they should have trouble restricting you to "read-only" is if you are using a common userid that is used by other people who need more than read-only. Maybe you should suggest they read up on the GRANT command in the Oracle docs (see http://tahiti.oracle.com). Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 14:59:38 CST