Re: I want to be oracle master.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2002 15:35:58 -0800

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3DC947A5.A90538DE_at_exesolutions.com>...
> ITWOLF wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a 30 years old IT engineer with 3 years experience in nokia
> > switching platform doing SW integration for dx200. Anyway currently
> > I'm in UK and I'm not working and frankly I CAN't FINAD A JOB AND
> > THAT'S MAKE ME FEEL TIRED. No one need my experience. And all what I
> > see is oracle job add are every where. Now I tried to look how I can
> > study oracle but it cost a lot for only few days course, University's
> > just forget about it, I need skill and not papers.
> > Anyone can tell where and how to get the bloody skills of oracle.
> > Thanks and I hope you can help.
> >
> > Lost Wolf
>
> Don't so quickly dismiss universities. I can not speak for all of them.
> In fact I can't speak for any other than my own. But to me the sheepskin
> is far less important than the skills. Not one of my students graduates
> without skills sufficient to walk into any company, sit down at any
> workstation, and analyze business problems and solve them using Oracle
> PL/SQL.
That is so much better than many places, I would take my hat off to you if I were wearing one. The only niggle is, whether PL/SQL is the flavor of the month, and even that is moot, since it _is_ the flavor of the month, and at least they have a chance in business with those skills. I'm not saying this because I'm contrarian or have issues with PL (which are true), but rather because of all the places that you don't speak for that grind out C++ programmers (or whatever was the flavor of the month when the instructor graduated).

I was thinking of the PL useability or lack thereof this morning as I struggled with another language to write a report with somewhat vague requirements of the (overly simplified) form "select a bunch of invoice lines that are on sales orders that had any line invoiced within a date range, but not if the line is ok for backorders or the products were completely shipped within the calendar month, match some of them up with this other hacked table and be sure the numbers match the other report that summarized that data," where the other report has some awfully strange code that does that but doesn't seem to select the date range properly... the hard part might be to make it run in less than the span between backups...

And we're all envious of the SW integration engineers... :-)

jg

--
@home is bogus.
"Graduate school is the snooze button on the alarm clock of life." -