Re: Optinal db_block_buffers size

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2002 15:13:02 -0800

"Wells" <wshammou-(NoSpam)@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<Iiay9.30648$0x.11422_at_news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Hello all,
> Can some one please provide me the formula for determining the optimal size
> of the db_block_buffers parameter.
> I guess what I want to know is that at what point do you actually degrade
> performance if you keep adding memory.

The simple answer is "when your SGA gets so big that your OS starts paging."

The more correct answer is that you have to use a tuning methodology to determine it empirically for your situation.

For example, I recently saw a situation where the server was running ok, but then a new factory was bought, adding half-a-dozen users to an MRP system. Things went just bonko, because it was just enough to force it into swapping, and nastily highlighted otherwise minor RBS and OS swapfile misconfigurations.

If you happen to know number of users, size and type of apps, versions of HW and OS and O, and other hardware configuration information, you might find someone with a similar situation that can give you starting points.

> Thank you so much,
> Wells...

You're welcome.

jg

--
@home is bogus.
What would happen if someone attacked the internet and nobody noticed?