Re: Oracle SQLNET through DSL connection

From: Chris S <seebelow_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 23:00:34 GMT

Thanks for the help. I posted more info a little earlier (our posts crossed). I tried the 'use_shared_sockets=true' setting, but I put it in the registry, not sqlnet.ora. I'll try it in sqlnet.ora. Not only did it not solve the problem, it actually made working connections fail - maybe more stuff has to be done once you make that setting.

And as I mentioned in my other post, I agree this is firewall now (it's the only common component) ... but ... I have two laptops side by side, and both are 'similar', but one works the other doesn't (one works when dialed up to public network and using vpn). So logic would suggest that I should be able to solve this at the client side. There is 'something' about this particular laptop image that is killing me. I built both images... . My next step is going to be to build a new image from scratch, and test the connection at each step along the way. The only downside to this is, it's a helluvan image - this is our sales demo, with forms client/server; web forms; resin server components; a mini mail server; handheld emulators; wireless device drivers; etc etc ... rebuilding is a major project! The working laptop is 'similar' from an oracle perspective, and from a network perspective, but does not have all the bells and whistles the newer image has. So probably it's one of the many bells and whistles that's killing it. I guess that's what weekends are for ...

Thanks, Chris.

On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 22:34:07 +0100, Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 19:29:17 GMT, Chris S <seebelow_at_nowhere.com>
>wrote:
>
>>This could indicate (maybe) that our firewall/vpn host is blocking
>>this traffic,
>

>In my experience 12535 *always* point to firewall issues.
>
>Did you set up
>use_shared_sockets = true
>in sqlnet.ora on the server?
>
>If not, the server will open a random port to establish communications
>with the client.
>
>Other methods to deal with this are
>- use sqlnet proxy software in the firewall
>- set up connection manager
>- set up multithreaded server.
>
>Hth
>

>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Reply to cschofie at domain dot com
Change domain to attbi - Thanks Received on Sun Nov 03 2002 - 17:00:34 CST