Re: Rename a Oracle table

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:44:29 GMT

"Matthias Rogel" <rogel_at_web.de> wrote in message news:apoo9m$3jmal$1_at_ID-86071.news.dfncis.de...
> hi fc,
>
> please try to follow the following steps
>
> 1. go to http://tahiti.oracle.com/ in our favoute browser
> 2. click "Click here for Oracle9i documentation, Release 2 (9.2). "
> (who is interested in old stuff ?)
> 3. U can see a field with the label "Enter a word or phrase:"
> type in "SP2" in this field
> press the button labelled "Search"
> 4. it has to do with SQL*Plus what U are looking for
> so press "SQL*Plus User's Guide and Reference (3 matching topics)"
> (at least I would if I were U)
> 5. check out if U can do the rest for your own
> (there are 3 possibilities how to proceed and I am too
> lazy to show your all 3)
>
> what is so difficult with that ?
>
> PS:
> In my opinion, SQL*Plus should be renamed into SQL*Minus, but that's
> another story ...
>
> FC wrote:

Excellent Matthias, but I am interested indeed in "old" stuff like Oracle 8i, although I guess most of the errors are still the same. I specifically searched for SP2-0171 with the Error Message finder http://tahiti.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/tahiti.error_search?prefill=ORA , replaced ORA with SP2 and tried in various ways without success.

I bet that if you were looking for a Windows NT error, you wouldn't look under Windows XP, would you?

What is the meaning of having to wait for the next release of software in order to get information about the current one? I could not find any reference whatsoever to SP2 in the SQL Plus User's Guide and Reference for version 8.1.7.
There is an Appendix talking about COPY errors, but not SQLPlus messages. If you repeat your search in Oracle 8.1.7 documentation library on Tahiti, you wouldn't get those 3 matching items, simply because Oracle didin't provide a list of SP2 messages.

I was just pointing out that a complex software like Oracle is very prone to problems like faulty documentation, poorly indexed entries and so on, which is one of points being discussed in this thread.

Thanks anyway.
Flavio

PS:
http://tahiti.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.to_URL?remark=drilldown&urlname=http: %2F%2Fotn.oracle.com%2Fdocs%2Fproducts%2Foracle9i%2Fdoc_library%2Frelease2%2 Fserver.920%2Fa90842%2Fwhatsnew.htm%23970654

They are claiming that the SP2 search facility is a new feature!! better late than ever... Received on Wed Oct 30 2002 - 12:44:29 CST