Re: Problems Connecting Oracle database XSQL and/or JSP via apache

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:23:51 +1100

> > > You probably don't want to use Java or JSP pages to connect as sys.
> > >
> > > To work as sys do this:
> > >
> > > sqlplus "/as sysdba"
> > >
> > > do your stuff here
> > >
> > > exit
> > >
> > > Apart from that, the default sys pasword is change_on_install.
> > > And the sys user IS there, don't worry.
> > >
> > > If you installed the starter database, scott (using passowrd tiger)
will
> > > be there as well. Try connecting him.
> >
> > I can connect into SQL+ as scott, but still not as dba, I can also
> > access scotts tables, but not the ones i used originally! I can
> > connect to the manager tools using my sys account, although when I try
> > to connect to sqlplus (with >sqlplus "/as sysdba") I get the following
> > error message.
> >
> > ============================
> > C:\Documents and Settings\dev\> sqlplus "/as sysdba"
> >
> > SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Sun Oct 27 17:06:44 2002
> >
> > Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> >
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
> >
> > Enter user-name:
> > ============================
> >
> > It was definately not doing that before, and it didn't even ptrompt
> > for a password. Have I been denied from using my own services or
> > somthing?

> To connect with "/ as sysdba" the OS User must have the group ORADB
> wich can be assigned with computermanagement in the controlpanel.

Actually, the group is called ORA_DBA.

And the O/S user must be a member of said group.

(And, as an aside, it's possible in Windows to create an ORA_sid_DBA group)

Use of the SYSDBA privilege over a remote connection (as implied by the "@yourdb" alias you include later on) is subject to a whole raft of other problems, too.

Regards
HJR