Re: Rename a Oracle table

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:18:48 +1100

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:aplf5g$950$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Tim Kearsley wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> Some of what you say is true. However, it is VERY obvious when someone
does
> not even bother to read the manual.
>
> How to rename a table is one of them. How to select a column into a
variable
> in PL/SQL is another.
>
> People like that, do deserve the odd lead pipe in the face.
>
> What is the _FIRST_ thing that most of us do when we hit an Oracle
problem?

> Post to this newsgroup?
>
> Nope. Like many others, my browser home page is the Oracle HTML
> documentation.
>
> If I can not remember how to rename a table, I use it. It is a SQL
command.
> So it will be discussed in the SQL Manual. Less than a minute later, I
will
> have the syntax for the RENAME SQL command displayed.
>
> A problem with SQL*Loader? SQL*Plus? Export? Import? Each of these are
> covered, and covered well.
>
> No is saying to read every single page of a 1000 page Oracle manual, and
> read every one of the 10+ odd Oracle manuals. But is is UTTER STUPIDITY to
> say that because of the size and volume of these manuals, you can not be
> bothered to use it. For heavensakes, each manual has a title. SQL syntax
> will be in the SQL Manual. No rocket science needed. Each manual comes
with
> an index.
>
> A person that can not use a manual properly. Can not use the manual's
> Can not associate his problem of how to rename a table (a SQL command)
with
> the SQL manual... will you employ a person like that Tim?
>
> A person that runs to this newsgroup when he does not know how to rename a
> table, is FRIGGEN LAZY. Period.

I was with you all the way until this point.

For my sins, I used to post to the XP newsgroup. There used to be people moaning about that wonderful (?) new feature whereby half of Windows' menus would disappear of their own accord to be replaced by some mysterious chevrons. Would you know this feature is called 'personalised menus'?? I wouldn't. I might have searched the manuals for 'disappearing menus' or 'pain in the ass', but 'personalised menus'??????? Point being, we forget too easily what's obvious and what's not.

It's also possible a complete newbie doesn't know that renaming a table is done with SQL. In certain other databases that shall remain nameless, it could well be that one right-click and a check-box later, the deed is done (and they are expecting something similar in Oracle). I wouldn't want to rule out a future Oracle guru just because on day 3 of their Oracle career they haven't learnt the majesty of SQL.

It wouldn't kill anyone to say "RTF SQL manual", so they get the hint.

Telling someone to read the manual is always a good idea. So long as it's actually offered as instructive advice, and not a four-letter way of telling someone to sod off. Because if *that's* all you want to do, I think I agree that simply not replying is the better alternative.

Regards
HJR