Re: Problems Connecting Oracle database XSQL and/or JSP via apache

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:52:49 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Actually, the group is called ORA_DBA.

Sorry, I was just too lazy to check the spelling - but I think he would have
found the correct one :-)

> And the O/S user must be a member of said group.
>
> (And, as an aside, it's possible in Windows to create an ORA_sid_DBA group)
>
> Use of the SYSDBA privilege over a remote connection (as implied by the
> "@yourdb" alias you include later on) is subject to a whole raft of other
> problems, too.

Agreed, but then it sounds like the original poster is pretty new to oracle
at all, so i assumed this would be the 'bullet proof' way to get him going.

Of course, setting ORACLE_SID for example would be an other option. But still,
this is windows and in two weeks time he'll be back 'cause he can't connect
over network even after setting ORACLE_SID. Which does not imply anything on
the OP, I've come to my (admittedly little) experience with oracle the really
hard way: no one experienced person around to ask, knowing the questions I
had where so easy to answer that 90% would only get an RTFM (at least I would
have learned earlier about http://tahiti.oracle.com).

So I think the OP will be happy with a solution to start with, and now he even
knows where a bunch of documentation can be found :-)

Cheers,

Holger Received on Tue Oct 29 2002 - 02:52:49 CST