Re: Does somebody know a better way

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 19 Oct 2002 10:09:23 -0700

Das Schaf <me_at_domain.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.181a54783fed8b5d989683_at_news.compaq.com>...
> Yes ... I was starting to think of writing a function in c as it was my main
> language for many years and I know its string handling capabilities ... but I
> have no experience of tying a c function into an Oracle database - is there an
> interface in the Oracle server address space I can hook external code into - is
> this what I have heard of as a user exit? If so, I can go and RTFM.

Using external C functions in database is extremely easy. Everything is prepared for. Just write your function and link this one to database.
I will not rewrite here how to do this. You can use manual or Tom Kyte has a great explanation of this in his well known book. However, as I already said, it is very easy and you should have no fear to use this. And maintaining is also not very challenging. I think that even if other guy do not know C language, explaining to him something as simple as this function will not be very difficult. If this function will be used frequently, this is (i think) the only way how to achieve quick processing.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.