Re: Does somebody know a better way

From: Das Schaf <me_at_domain.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:25:55 GMT

In article <1e8276d6.0210180702.5bc23e8e_at_posting.google.com>, pagesflames_at_usa.net says...
> Das Schaf <me_at_domain.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1819f76f3cf348db989680_at_news.compaq.com>...
> > I am trying to strip non-alphanumeric characters from a string - I have
> > come up with a solution using the TRANSLATE function e.g.
>
> I think that this is a classic example for external function
> especially using C language. You can't find quicker and in this
> particular case easier solution than this one. Use tool for purpose
> for which was designated, SQL is great for getting data, but leave
> character operation to C.

Yes ... I was starting to think of writing a function in c as it was my main language for many years and I know its string handling capabilities ... but I have no experience of tying a c function into an Oracle database - is there an interface in the Oracle server address space I can hook external code into - is this what I have heard of as a user exit? If so, I can go and RTFM. As an aside ... one of my problems is that this most of the developers here don't have a clue about Unix or c and my code will be hard to maintain. However, it makes me indispensable (for the next few months any way) :-)

Many Thanks,

        Chris