Re: Oracle personal edition?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 05:07:02 +1000

"Kenneth C Stahl" <ktsahl_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3DB149A9.541433D9_at_yahoo.com...
> Galen Boyer wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, ktsahl_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > > In other words, if you keep a database of recipes or cd collection in
> > > the database you are in violation of the terms of the agreement.
> >
> > Bunch of bunk. As long as Nancy Schmo doesn't _sell_ her recipes for a
> > profit, she's fine.
> >

> That is not true. It may not be used for "internal data processing".

For the record, you may use the free download "only for purposes of developing and prototyping your applications, and not for any other purpose". You are prohibited from using "the programs for your own internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose except the development and prototyping of your applications".

So if Nancy Schmo has developed a recipe or CD collection for her own personal use, and uses it regularly to prepare Saturday night dinners or a choice of relaxing classics to play in the background at such dinners, yes -she is violating the agreement.

But she can use the software for as long as she needs to learn *how* to develop a recipe or CD collection. And the mere existence within the database of a cd_table or a recipe_table would not be a problem, since she has to be able to prototype with something.

As for a 30 day expiry: it doesn't exist. The relevant term states that "We may include additional programs with an order which may be used for trial purposes only. You will have 30 days from the delivery date to evaluate these programs". The 30-day expiry term relates to 'additional programs' which 'may' be included: there is nothing 'additional' about the core database components downloadable for free. And "may" means they "might", not that they have.

So, given the original poster wanted "to setup Oracle db on my home pc for learning purposes only", it is apparent that he would be within the terms of the agreement were he to use the free download for as long as needed to learn. He would not be "illegally pirating Oracle software" by doing so.

I have been guilty of over-simplification in this thread, since it is apparent that the issue is not simply one of 'non-commercial use is fine'. But it is equally true that saying the use of the free download constitutes piracy is just as loopy.

And whilst none of the above is competent legal advice, or official in any way, I hope the FUD can now stop: the free download is there for a reason, and we should be encouraging newbies to use it, not scaring them away from it. It's the scaremongering I can't stand.

HJR Received on Sat Oct 19 2002 - 14:07:02 CDT