Re: moving to Oracle need recomendations...

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 07:41:21 +0200

On 18 Oct 2002 22:07:07 -0500, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:

>But, porting is certainly a reasonable first step in reengineering?

Both have to be done primarily by humans. It is a well-known fact that humans can be lazy. Chances are the porting is done, and the re-engineering is postponed until a subsequent release, especially as developers unfamiliar with Oracle won't even notice they are selling a crap application off. One of my customers have sold such an application and is using it. The vendor is very unwilling to make any chances, as it seems to need to run on multiple platforms. Is it ever going to work? One of the largest tables is subjected to 4 statements which all have a full table scan by design. Whatever optimizer you are going to use, it will choose that dratted fts. The vendor seems to refuse to change those statements. In the mean-time the customer wants to run 10 times as much business as he is doing now using this un-scalable application (it also doesn't use bind-variables). We have been throwing iron at this problem for many months now, and we have seen the app crashing at least once a week. The customers existence is at stake now. Simply because the vendor 'ported' the application, and didn't reengineer it.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Oct 19 2002 - 00:41:21 CDT