Re: moving to Oracle need recomendations...

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 22:07:07 -0500

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk wrote:

> rather than 'porting' is almost certainly the best option.

But, porting is certainly a reasonable first step in reengineering?

The "port" first at least gets rid of all of the pesky problems with datatypes, syntax, #temps, identity columns ... Porting can almost be a really sophisticated "search and replace" which then gets your app executing on the target database? Then in reengineering you can deal with transaction handling, performance, ... At least your not dealing with the less important, but still bug producing issues while reengineering the persistence engine of the applications code.

To me, reengineering a "poorly" architected database app would seem alot easier if the "poorly" written app where on the same database platform as the well-written app. (Here, when I say poorly written, I mean that a well-written app on SQLServer might perform quite poorly on an Oracle platform after porting, hence, when it is running from Oracle as though this is the platform it was architected for, I would consider it a poorly written app)

--
Galen deForest Boyer