creating a connection to Oracle 7.3 from Oracle 9i

From: Edwinah63 <edwinah_at_customercare.com.au>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 03:11:58 -0700

Dear Oracle Community,

i am a newbie to oracle (being reasonably fluent with mssql server 2000) and have been asked to evaluate 9i with a view to migrating a current oracle 7.3 database (on sun solaris) to oracle 9i on win 2000.

my questions are these:

i have looked all over the oracle 9i enterprise manager (i am logged in as scott to whom i assigned dba privledges in sql worksheet) but..... the net wizard does not seem to make any sense - is this the same as SQL* Net? also, in the Help on modifying tnsnames.ora, i had to use configurations/add new service - but this option is not available to me on the menu bar.

what steps should i take to make a successful connection? (i would appreciate being taken by the hand on this one)

ideally, i would like the oracle 7.3 database (and if poss, the mssql server tables) and all their dbs and tables visible through the oracle 9i enterprise manager.

i am very new to oracle, so please forgive my ignorance. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

regards

Edwina Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 05:11:58 CDT