Re: creating a connection to Oracle 7.3 from Oracle 9i

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:19:24 +0100

"Edwinah63" <edwinah_at_customercare.com.au> wrote in message news:d714e824.0210180211.5919dac6_at_posting.google.com...
> Dear Oracle Community,
>
> i am a newbie to oracle (being reasonably fluent with mssql server
> 2000) and have been asked to evaluate 9i with a view to migrating a
> current oracle 7.3 database (on sun solaris) to oracle 9i on win 2000.
>
> my questions are these:
>
> * i was asked to change the passwords for sys and system as part of
> the installation - now it won't let me log into the enterprise manager
> using these (nor sysdba, sysoper, sysman) but.... it would let me log
> into sql worksheet as sys/sysdba using the passwords i supplied during
> install - any advice on this one?

sys and system are database users. Enterprise manager requires a repository (usually in an oracle database) and has its own logins. Thus you should be able to connect to your 9i database using the sys and system passwords, you will need to set up enterprise manager if you wish to use it.

> * how do i create a connection from 9i to the oracle 7.3 database?

Ah now this is a bit of a problem as connection from a 9i client to a 7.3 database isn't supported and doesn't actually work in the case of 9.2. If you have installed 9i on a server somewhere then my advice would be to use an 8i client on your workstation which can connect quite happily to either 9i or 7.3 databases.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA