Re: which way use to assign the rollback segment?

From: Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_apple.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:05:30 -0700

It's fewest transactions one with round-robin on them.

That is, if you have several segments with same amount of transactions, Oracle picks the "next" one after the last one used.

Which is, IMO, not the best thing for them to do, because, if there exists a large batch job, that runs several times during periods of low activity and which is not assigned to a specific rollback segment, it will grow all your, say, 16 rollback segments to be big, where you start considering setting optimal size ... I am afraid to continue :).

If Oracle would just pick the first rollback segment among those with least used segments, say, in the order they are specified in init.ora, it would skew the space usage for rollback segments towards the "first" rollback segments but I fail to see any bad consequences of this.

Regs
AK