Re: VARCHAR length

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 20:24:42 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> I hope you're not claiming that CHAR datatypes don't use length bytes?
>
> They do.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been quite a while since I attended an oracle architecture class. As you probably know, training is one of the first things to go in a shrinking budget ... and new DBAs get trained before old-timers - as it should be, I suppose, since they have more to learn. So I haven't heard the lecture since Oracle7 first came out. Something tells me Oracle just might have done a little work on their db since then, eh?

I thought the length of a CHAR field was stored in the data dictionary (since it never changes) and the length of a VARCHAR2 field was stored in the database row (since it potentially changes). Therefore, the starting byte position of each CHAR field can be determined at SQL parse time (if there are no variable-length fields in front of it); but the starting position of VARCHAR2 fields cannot be determined until the row is read into the buffer. Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 15:24:42 CDT