Re: Can Transparent Application Failover (TAF ) handle a Network disconnect ?

From: Geoff Ingram <google_at_dbcool.com>
Date: 8 Oct 2002 13:16:34 -0700

you need to reduce the TCP/IP timeout which is outside Oracle control. The exact method is OS dependent. This will fix delayed failover between hosts for:

Most OS set default value way too high than needed for most corporate LAN/WAN. Howto change for Windows + Solaris

Windows Reg

Location: \HLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Name 	                     Data
TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions	1

Solaris (as root)

ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_ip_abort_cinterval 10000

default (ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_ip_abort_cinterval) equates to > 3 mins

To test outside Oracle. Run telnet a.b.c.d to valid address on your network for a non-existent host. Change timeout and watch telnet return faster

Geoff Ingram

http://www.dbcool.com The all-free no-timeout Oracle tuning tool

Author "High Performance Oracle"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0471224367/customer-reviews/ref=cm_rev_all_1/104-1222748-5117565