Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: tingl <tlam15_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:09:26 GMT

> > > Yeah, but fact is: it IS broke. It needs fixing.
> > > 7.3.4 is as broke as can be. All you need is the right combination of
> > > load and type of database and the thing will regularly "explode".
> >
> > If this is true, I wonder how many companies have this kind of killer
> > apps.
>
> Any1 running Oracle applications potentially may have a corrupt database
> in their hands if they use the logging facility. Just as an example. A
> very old bug to do with the way LONGs are handled inside Oracle. Been
> around since V6, never fully fixed. Except in 8, where Oracle simply
> replaced the darn things with LOBs.

Sure, you are potentially likely to run into bugs regardless of the version. I have encountered more bugs in 8i than 734. It is not too hard to understand the
reasons. 8i patches are hundreds of megabytes now. It is even more shocking with 9i. Believe it or not, some of the bugs will never get fixed unless you upgrade
again.

> > There has been numerous, both simple and complicated apps running
> > against 734 for many years.
> >

> Of course. And guess what: most if not all of them (the ones still
> selling) have upgraded to later versions of Oracle. Wanna guess why?
> ;)

I hope it is not because of the reason above. Received on Thu Sep 19 2002 - 19:09:26 CDT