Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:09:18 +1000

18 Sep 2002 14:38:22 -0700, tingl said (and I quote):
> Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3d888cd3$0$22178$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:58:12 +1000, Richard Foote said (and I quote):

> > Yeah, but fact is: it IS broke. It needs fixing.
> > 7.3.4 is as broke as can be. All you need is the right combination of
> > load and type of database and the thing will regularly "explode".
>
> If this is true, I wonder how many companies have this kind of killer
> apps.

Any1 running Oracle applications potentially may have a corrupt database in their hands if they use the logging facility. Just as an example. A very old bug to do with the way LONGs are handled inside Oracle. Been around since V6, never fully fixed. Except in 8, where Oracle simply replaced the darn things with LOBs.

> There has been numerous, both simple and complicated apps running
> against 734 for many years.

Of course. And guess what: most if not all of them (the ones still selling) have upgraded to later versions of Oracle. Wanna guess why? ;)

--
Cheers