Re: using JServer...how to configure/use........new to this, please help

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:16:14 GMT

Comments embedded.

SlimFlem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am new to using JServer
> and the Java environment in general, so I need to ask some questions
> about the usage of Oracle's JServer. My company is using Oracle 8i
> running on Solaris. I have developed a set of Java classes that need
> to be loaded into Oracle. I know how to use loadjava to load the
> classes/jar files into Oracle, the problem is I don't know how to load
> dependencies into Oracle.

Here's what I do first: use 'loadjava -verbose' to load all my .java files. After this step, some of them will be valid and some won't. The ones that are valid, don't depend on any other classes. The ones that are invalid, depend on subclasses.

> For example, most of my classes Xeres and Xalan along with SAX, etc.
> for Xml processing. I also have some external Xml files I use for
> runtime configuration. I need to know how to get the Xerces and Xalan
> libraries into JServer as well as my other external dependencies so my
> classes will resolve when loaded using loadjava.

Find all the 'invalid' classes that are one generation up from the valid classes (depend only on the child classes already resolved). For each of them, use 'loadjava -resolve' to resolve references to subclasses. Repeat this, moving up the generation level until all classes have been resolved (should now be valid).

> Also, how do I configure CLASSPATH for JServer? Is all I need to do
> is configure CLASSPATH with the correct path information to my
> libaries? Please advise.

When you issue the 'loadjava' command, you want to be in a directory where your CLASSPATH can find all your .java sources. For example, before I do loadjava, I 'cd /projects/everest' (because that's the "root" of my cvs tree). All my .java source is somewhere below that (eg, com/mycompany/common).

> If someone could point me to some good online help for this sort of
> thing, I would really appreciate it. I have tried looking through
> Oracle's site, but I can't find exactly the information I need.
>
> I hope I am making sense with all that I said.

Yes, you made sense. The Oracle docs have some info on loadjava, though it's hard to mentally translate it into a given situation (since they assume a configuration that they never quite get around to explaining).

But hope this helps. I'm going home for the day ... so if you need to ask me another question, don't count on me responding soon. :)