Re: Backup strategy using RMAN

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:08:21 GMT

On 18 Sep 2002 03:56:10 -0700, livans_at_yahoo.it (Ivan) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm testing a backup, through RMAN, of an about 700 Gb database (the
>production database is about 4,5 Tb).
>I'm concerned with the fact that an incremental backup takes the same
>time of a full backup (it saves only network bandwidth and tape
>space).
>So I'm wondering if RMAN accepts:
>
>- 1 full backup each month
>- 1 incremental backup each week
>- 1 archivelog backup only each day
>
>Is it possibile ?
>
>Thanks in advance.

It is possible, though your backup strategy seems a little thin for such a large DB.

You may also consider using RMAN cumulative backup in your backup strategy.

The "fact" that incremental backup take the same time as a full backup is kinda new to me.....true that RMAN must check all blocks in the DB in both cases, but there is definetely a difference between finding 90% and 2%of the blocks changed......from where does this "fact" come ?