Re: Recovery on a New Machine

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:22:11 +1000

Hi Nancy,

What you can recover is related directly to which redo logs you have access to (and that might depend on how crashed you database server is). Providing you still have access to the disk system, everything should potentially be hunky dory, no ?

Can you access any portion of the previous database ? The key portion here I guess are the online redo logs, or specifically those that were not archived. The current controlfile might prove useful too. Hey, if you can access all the datafiles we can really be in business.

If the answer is no, then an incomplete recovery using your cold backup datafiles and controlfile is your best option. Startup mount followed by a RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL. Hit cancel when you've applied your last available redo log and open database with resetlogs.

Losing all your data and corresponding redo log is not a nice situation to be in.

However if you do have access to all the unarchived redo logs, no worries, they can be applied and bingo, the database is back (although if you're using the backed up controlfile you still need to open the database with resetlogs).

So a lot depends on what is still accessible in your original database.

Good Luck

Richard