Re: How do I place the value of another field in a field :)

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Sep 2002 13:41:03 -0700

Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null> wrote in message news:<Xns92845A403D3E7pingottpingottbah_at_192.168.1.1>...
> Frank_Blacks_Pixie_at_hotmail.com (-Pixie) wrote in
>
> > Hi. Im a newbie to Oracle & so this question may seem simple to
> > you all :) Im trying to teach myself Oracle whilst at the same
> > time create a singles website :)
>
> We all gotta learn somewhere ... :)
>
> > For the moment Im just trying to understand how I can connect two
> > tables via one field. When a client fills out a new member form in
> > asp, I would like the data to be divided between two seperate
> > tables.
> >
> > I would like to create two simple tables.
> >
> > Table T1 would contain three fields: fname, lname and mem_id.
> > mem_id would be the primary key field not null which auto
> > increments. fname and lname would be alphanuemeric fields not
> > null.
> >
> > Table T2 would contain three fields as well: username, password
> > and mem_id. username would be alphanumeric not null starting with
> > a letter and not a number. password would be alphanumerica not
> > null minimum 6 characters, and mem_id would be the primary key but
> > that it should obtain its value from table T1's mem_id field.
> >
> > I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me an example of
> > how to do this in sqlplus :)
> >
> > At the risk of sounding foolish, Ive been trying to do this for
> > over a week :/ Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Providing a quick answer here for what looks like RDBMS 101 would defeat the purpose. I would suggest either you read thru some RDBMS/SQL concepts manual before starting any development or read about,

On Basic level,

1) Create Table
2) Create Sequence
3) Primary/Foreign key constraints
4) DML (Select, Insert, Update, ..) statements with simple straight
joins.

On Advanced level,
PLSQL programming which will include Creating Oracle stored objects and putting power of a Procedural language on top of SQL.

This will atleast get you started. If you do not want to spend money on a book, you can also get Oracle online docs on all this and much more at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

Product specific syntax can be referenced from any help source, however, important thing is to understand the concept of RDBMS technology.

Regards
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Mon Sep 09 2002 - 15:41:03 CDT