How do I place the value of another field in a field :)

From: -Pixie <Frank_Blacks_Pixie_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Sep 2002 07:33:40 -0700

Hi. Im a newbie to Oracle & so this question may seem simple to you all :) Im trying to teach myself Oracle whilst at the same time create a singles website :)

For the moment Im just trying to understand how I can connect two tables via one field. When a client fills out a new member form in asp, I would like the data to be divided between two seperate tables.

I would like to create two simple tables.

Table T1 would contain three fields: fname, lname and mem_id. mem_id would be the primary key field not null which auto increments. fname and lname would be alphanuemeric fields not null.

Table T2 would contain three fields as well: username, password and mem_id. username would be alphanumeric not null starting with a letter and not a number. password would be alphanumerica not null minimum 6 characters, and mem_id would be the primary key but that it should obtain its value from table T1's mem_id field.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me an example of how to do this in sqlplus :)

At the risk of sounding foolish, Ive been trying to do this for over a week :/ Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-pixie Received on Mon Sep 09 2002 - 09:33:40 CDT