Re: HOTBACKUP Help!

From: intruder <mark_intruder_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2002 06:32:36 -0700

"Chuckster" <chuckycarson_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3d6c05ce_1_at_corp-goliath.newsgroups.com>...
> Here is the problem I am having:
>
> I am taking the hotbackup from a production machine and placing it on a
> development box that is identical. (same everything). I place all the
> files in the appropriate directory structure and when I try to start the
> instance I get this error:
>
> ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open
>
> Is this what I should see?

In this case you are using the backed up files from from a hot backup. The backup consist of of (inconsistent datafiles) and archive redo logfiles. When placing the datafiles on the identical machine, and when you start the database (not instance) you get the error since your datafiles need to be synchronized by using the arcive log files. That means all the other logfiles will be useless. Meaning you have to issue:
Alter database resetlog; Received on Wed Aug 28 2002 - 08:32:36 CDT