9iR2 Database Configuration Assistant fails with ORA-27102 "Out of Memory" error

From: Rick Root <rroot-news_at_ads.duke.edu>
Date: 28 Aug 2002 06:41:06 -0700

RedHat Linux 7.3 fully patched
1GB physical RAM
1GB swap
Oracle 9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1.0)

With a few minor stumbling blocks, I've managed to get Oracle installed on the above Linux server but the Database Configuration Assistant fails with an ORA-27102 "Out of Memory" error whenever it gets to the step of "Creating and starting Oracle instance".

In fact, if I have a shell open with "top" running in it, I can see that i'm nowhere near out of memory. Only about 260MB of physical RAM is used and no swap space.

I've followed all of the instructions as far as kernel parameters found in the Installation Guide *AND* the Release Notes, but just in case, here are my values:

SEMMSL 100
SEMMNS 256 (also tried 400 and the default, 32000) SEMOPM 100
SEMMNI 100 (also tried 600)
SHMMAX 524288 (half my phsyical memory)
SHMMNI 100
SHMALL 2097152 (release notes say leave as default)

I've searched many places for the answer to this.. I've only found one message that looks like the same problem but no responses to it (in comp.database.oracle.server).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick Root Received on Wed Aug 28 2002 - 08:41:06 CDT