Re: Oracle Certificate??

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:14:52 +1000

Hi Unbreakable,

If you expect an OCP certificate will be enough to get you a job, the high probability is you will be sadly disappointed. It might be enough to differentiate you from other inexperienced souls going for a junior DBA role, but then again it might not.

I can only speak for the Oracle DBA market in Australia and such market remains very difficult. In the Canberra market specifically there have been a number of DBA positions become available but they have been for very experienced applicants only. Most junior DBA positions are being filled by internal people moving across typically from developer backgrounds. This I believe is a common trend. The contractor market is also somewhat quiet but there's enough work if you have the necessary experience and reputation.

I wouldn't give up on Oracle if I were you because you most certainly can have a very rewarding and successful career. However I'm not sure that OCP is necessarily the way to go. I think focusing on your pet store application and showing you have the imitative to use and apply Oracle would open more doors.

My thoughts.

Richard