Re: Moving data from DB2 to Oracle with Row Num

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:02:45 +0100

"Carole Kaufman" <carolek_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:72330e0d.0208200842.76f7d486_at_posting.google.com...
> Yes, we can load data fine - but row nums aren't recognized.

You haven't explained what row nums are. As a search of the DB2/OS390 docs for row num doesn't return any apparently appropriate results (it just gives instructions on odbc programming or xml) we are unlikely to be able to help

> Somehow the database keeps track of what is a new record and what is
> an update. On DB2 it works great: the tables know when to update and
> when to insert a new record.
>
> When we load the data via SQL Loader to Oracle, Oracle starts over at
> 1. This creates interesting behavior in the application as another
> record has 1. When we apply a unique index, we then get a unique
> index violation - afterall there's already a record 1.

If you need a meaningless primary key generator then look at sequences.

> The vendor says we have to re-enter the data *by hand* ... well - it's
> a lot! I didn't join IT to do data entry, and I have to believe
> there's a way to get the row intelligence into Oracle...Isn't there?

Almost certainly. I think you will need to clarify a bit more (perhaps post a table definition and the problem column(s))

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA