Re: Moving data from DB2 to Oracle with Row Num

From: Carole Kaufman <carolek_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 20 Aug 2002 09:42:38 -0700

Yes, we can load data fine - but row nums aren't recognized.

To explain our pain, we have this application whose 'brain' is based on a couple dozen tables which do not have primary keys nor any indexes. Frankly, I've been sheltered and have never dealt with tables without PKs for determining updates/inserts.

Somehow the database keeps track of what is a new record and what is an update. On DB2 it works great: the tables know when to update and when to insert a new record.

When we load the data via SQL Loader to Oracle, Oracle starts over at 1. This creates interesting behavior in the application as another record has 1. When we apply a unique index, we then get a unique index violation - afterall there's already a record 1.

The vendor says we have to re-enter the data *by hand* ... well - it's a lot! I didn't join IT to do data entry, and I have to believe there's a way to get the row intelligence into Oracle...Isn't there?

Carole